Monday, December 19, 2005

A Few Random Sports Thoughts

Iuck the Frish
With a last name like Sullivan, it isn't easy to say this, but there's no team on the planet I hate more than the Irish.

My hatred for Notre Dame runs as far back as I can remember, and deeper than my distaste for any other team. MSU? I love MSU. I love watching them build up expectation for several weeks, lose to us, and then piss away the rest of their season. What a bunch of headcases. Ohio State? Oh I hate Ohio State all right. But that's just a rivalry thing. I hate them because they're the other perennial Big Ten power, because of all the championships they've stolen from us (and vice-versa). I don't hate anything about the school really. The Yankees? Sure I hate the Yankees, but I'm a Tigers fan, so the last important baseball game my favorite team played in was a few days after I was born. And it's hard for a fetus to develop a proper amount of hatred.

But The Gold and Green? Ummm....Gold and Blue? Gold and white? What the fuck, would you people pick some colors already?

And if the color confusion wasn't bad enough, how about the cultural one? Why is a school named after a cathedral in France named the Fighting Irish? Shouldn't you people just be called St. Patrick's College or something? Maybe Pass the Potatoes U?

And what the hell is with the scotsman in you marching band?

But all that stuff is only skin-deep. My hatred for Notre Dame is about one thing only: The ridiculous sense of entitlement that school feels.

I hate watching a crappy second-rate team get coverage on NBC every other Saturday just because they were Notre Dame. I hate listening to people call them "America's Football School" when the haven't won a National Championship in my lifetime. I hate that the BCS has a Notre Dame clause in it's regulations. I hate that Notre Dame is going to make a BCS bowl when Ohio State, Auburn, Georgia, and Oregon are all way more deserving of it. Notre Dame beat who precisely? Us. That's it. And that was just before we lost to Wisconsin and Minnesota. Very impressive. If you're biggest mark on your resume is LOSING to USC, then why the hell are you in the BCS? They lost to State for heaven's sake.

But I do like Charlie Weis. And I hope he brings Notre Dame back to national glory. And I hope they make the National Championship game next year. And I hope we're their waiting for them, and Mike Hart shows them his backside for 300 yards or so. And then I hope the NCAA finds out Notre Dame's entire school (not football team, school) is on steroids, and officially throws them out of the association.

Joe Thornton and Why Hockey is Fucked

For those who haven't been watching ESPN recently, Joe Thornton of the Boston Bruins was traded to the San Jose Sharks (read about it here). This trade is so earth-shattering that Sportscenter compared it to Willie Mays being traded to the Mets. And frankly I only have one thing to say about it:

Who the fuck is Joe Thornton?

Seriously, I've never even heard of this guy. Is he any good? Haven't the Bruins sucked since like Bobby Orr? How can he be that great if I've never even heard of him?

And this my friends, is why Hockey is fucked. Because the problem wasn't salary structure. And it isn't an oversaturation of the market. It's that guys like me, guys who LOVE sports, who will watch any random damn thing ESPN shows (spelling bees, darts, trick shot pool, hell I've watched chess) don't like hockey very much. We just don't like it. And you can make all the rule changes you want, and we still won't like it. Don't know why, just don't.

Unless of course you mean college hockey, in which case T.J. Hensick is my boy.

Mr. Soriano Goes to Washington

It's December folks, and we all know what that means.
No, not College Football Conference Championships.
No, not the Lions being out of playoff contention.
No, not Shaq being injured.
No, not NASCAR having it's brief three day off-season.
No, not the first Portland Trailblazer getting caught for blazing it up this season.

Okay, look, it means Winter Meeting for Baseball. Hot stove? Big trades? Free agents getting paid way too much money? Look, I know there's snow all over the ground, and the national pasttime isn't necessarily on all our minds, but let's try and focus shall we people?

Brief thoughts on this year's off-season:

Super-excited that Mike Piazza is being let go bye the Mets. I'm hoping this will propel him back into the commentary booth. Did anyone see him during the playoffs? The man made more comments that could roughly be translated as "I'm totally not gay". It was freaking hilarious. I would pay good money if Mike Piazza got on baseball tonight. "Seriously, guys, I think Jason Giambi looks a lot slimmer this year...not that I spend a lot of time looking at Jason Giambi...or any time, I mean I just hear his weight you know...on the wire...man how about that Anna Benson huh?"

Why on earth would Boston trade Manny? Guys, let me give you a heads-up. By April, Manny won't even remember that he asked to be traded. He's a loon. He has no idea where he is. I tell you what, drape some Ivy on the Green Monster and tell him he got traded to the Cubs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home