Sunday, October 22, 2006

Kids these days

Recently a poll was conducted by NYMag.com in which 100 high school age children from Manhattan were asked questions about their sex life and a 100 parents of high school aged children from Manhattan(not the same children necessarily) were asked questions about their child's sex life.

Phew...that's a mouthful.

Anyway, the survey is here if you wish to read it: http://nymag.com/lifestyle/sex/annual/2005/15079/index.html

Much of the results are what you'd expect. A lot more sex exists among high schoolers than their parents think (for example just 1% of parents believed their kid had performed oral sex, while 51% of the kids actually had).

In general the kids were more sexually active than I personally would have guessed. For example, 25% have had sexual conversations with a STRANGER on the internet. Newsflash kids, SxxxiS1ut_15 isn't really a horny fifteen year old cheerleader. He (that's right he) is actually an extremely horny 45 year old accountant. Now you know.

And knowing is half the battle.

Anyway, I don't want to get all old and crumudgeonly here, so I'll avoid the whole "what's the matter with kids these days, blah blah blah." Plus, I imagine the numbers are lower on a national average than they are in Manhattan. But what I do want to do is highlight a few things that caught my interest.

First off, only 36% of parents said that their child had masturbated. 49 of the 100 children were boys. Which means there were at least 13 parents who didn't belive their teenage boy had ever masturbated. Denial: It ain't just a river in Egypt folks.

Speaking of denial, the following statement was made by an 18-year-old boy who was surveyed: "I’m not gay but I acknowledge the fact that I’m attracted to men sometimes. I think, under it all, everyone is gay or has gay tendencies.”

I hate Carlos Mencia with the passion a thousand hellfires, but the man has said one inarguable truth in his horribly unfunny career: If you think you might be gay, then you're gay. Just letting you know son.

Going back to the 1% of all parents who believed their child had performed oral sex, it should be noted that 10% of the parents believd their child had received oral sex. And that's just poor parenting. Shouldn't they be teaching their kids to share? They're obviously not, because while 61% of kids have received oral, only 51% have given. People, it's better to give than to receive. If you think your kid is out there getting blow jobs, you should be encouraging them to reciprocate the favor. It's only fair.

Another interesting question was, "Have you experienced sexual activity while in bed with someone?" This survey, apparently, was done by my mother. Why, precisely, is something done in a bed worse than something done outside of one? I don't get this. Also, could they have come up with a slightly more ambiguous phrase than "sexual activity"? Maybe they could have had Eric Idle do the survey and just give them a "nudge nudge, wink wink, know what I mean, know what I mean?"

This made me feel good: 29% of the teenagers have had sex without a condom. A word to the right-wingers out there: good call with that whole "preach abstinance" thing. Working like a charm.

But if you really want to be disturbed, you have to go to the quotes.

On why they've never had sex:

"No particular reason. I’m not, like, a Christian.” - Girl, 17
Because we all know how wild the Muslims are about pre-marital sex.

“A girl wanted me to do it, but I didn’t want to.” - Boy, 18
If you think you might be gay...

"I don’t want to be an animal.” - Boy, 15
See, I don't really worry that much about the state of our youth's morality, cause I'm sure my peers were having this much sex, and I'm sure our parents were too. But I do wory about the state of our youth's science education. I've got bad news for you kid, you in fact ARE an animal. A primate if you want to be specific. Sorry, son.

On general attitudes toward sex: "Protect yourself. You don’t want to get sick or die. We’re too young for that.” - Girl, 17
She's right, you should really wait until you're 30 to get AIDS. It's way better then.

On waiting until you're old enough:

“It’s awesome, but wait until you’re 16.” - Boy, 14
“I don’t think you should have sex in ninth grade. Probably tenth.” - Boy, 14
What restraint. I don't think I'm ready for it yet...maybe after lunch.

"I don’t think a mouth should be on your private parts.” - Girl, 17
That's just funny.

On regrets: "Yes, because she was ugly.”- Boy, 14
See that's why you should wait until you're sixteen. Cause by then you're mature enough to know that it's not looks that matter. It's popularity.

“I used to feel guilty the first few times, when the girl was really drunk and I wasn’t. But not much anymore, since I have sex regularly.” - Boy, 16
READ: I used to feel guilty about being a rapist, but it stopped bothering me once the Devil claimed my immortal soul.

But you haven't heard it all unless you've heard from the parents.

On what's inappropriate: "The kinky stuff. I don’t know, whatever is possible these days.” - Father of a 15-year-old girl
Yeah all that wild, New Age High-Tech Sex that was invented over the last decade. With the transflux orgasms and what not.

“I talk about disease. Never talk about pleasure: It encourages them.” Mother of an 18-year-old girl
That's right, lady. As long as you don't tell them that sex is fun, there's no place of them to find out.

And finally, On whether or not their child would feel guilty about sex afterwards: Everybody feels guilty after, but that’s part of life.” - Mother of a 13-year-old girl
That's among the saddest things I've ever heard.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That guilty mom is pretty sad...but at least she's had sex, even if she feels bad about it. Whereas this kid:
“It’s gross. To think about all these kids having sex makes me want to vomit.”
Boy, 16

Well, it might never happen for him.

7:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Obviously I said that because it's the cleanest of all the sex acts ...

1:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home