Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Birth Control is Funny

As many of you know, tomorrow is Valentine's Day, and so I think it's pretty obvious what I'd like to talk about first today at the FMRC: Birth Control.

I was watching television earlier today, when I saw a commercial for the NuvaRing, a relatively recent method of birth control that involves a woman placing a flexible ring inside herself once a month.

Two thing struck me about this commercial: (1) The device is not recommended for women with diabetes, heart conditions, or women who are pregnant. Umm...maybe I'm missing something here, but if you're pregnant, I think it's a little late for the NuvaRing.

(2) They called the device a "vaginal ring". Now, accuracy of description aside, I'm not sure this is the best possible advertising. "Vaginal ring" is not exactly the most appealing phrase I've ever heard. But that might just be because I'm remarkably immature. For example, the following portions of their website FAQ made me giggle:

"Will my partner feel NuvaRing? In a survey among thousands of NuvaRing users, 8 out of 10 partners did not feel NuvaRing, and those who did generally did not mind." Well, yes actually I did feel a little piece of plastic in there, but I just figured it was a lego or something. Those little things get everywhere.

"What should I do if I forget to put a new contraceptive ring in?" Umm, don't have sex?

"Will NuvaRing cause an infection if used as directed?" Yes, yes it will. But ask yourself what's worse: having to deal with taking a pill every day, or having a vaginal infection?

"Will NuvaRing fall out? The muscles of your vagina will keep NuvaRing securely in place, even during exercise or sex. You can check the contraceptive ring periodically with your finger." Just reach in there every so often while at work, home, or even on the subway.

"How do I stop using NuvaRing® if I want to get pregnant?" Don't put it in your vagina?

But none of that made me giggle anywhere near as hard as this cartoon of How to Insert and Remove NuvaRing

Long story short: I'm twelve years old.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home